Qualifications for Residence at Winifred Stuart Mankowski Homes
- Have advertised in The Christian Science Journal for at least 10 years as a practitioner or nurse.
- Be able to care for all his/her own needs - cooking, cleaning, finances, etc. - independently. There is no staff to provide assistance or nursing, and there is no central dining room.
- Have proven a harmonious temperament, be able to interact cheerfully with staff and other residents.
- Be willing to actively participate in the local Christian Science movement.
- Be of retirement age (over 55) and be at least semi-retired.
- Have a financial picture that shows a "need" for Mankowski Homes. We estimate that it would cost an individual about $3750 a month ($4650 for a couple) to provide a like facility. If you earn more than that each month, or are married and planning to retire here as a couple, you should submit a preliminary application and the manager will call you. Each case is evaluated individually because debts and assets, as well as income, are different for each applicant.
- Be ready to at least semi-retire. While this may mean different levels of practice to individual practitioners; it is defined for nurses as 2 days a week, or no more than 104 days a year employment.
- Pay a $1000. deposit if an (adult, indoor) cat will be part of the household.
- In the case of couples, have a spouse who qualifies as well, except for the requirement to have worked in the movement. Each case is considered individually.
- Be able to pay the rent. Current rent is $225 for a single and $300 for a couple. This is payable before the first of each month and includes utilities, maintenance, monthly cleaning, and grounds upkeep. Internet, telephone and cable television are not included.
- Be willing to support the atmosphere of "quiet comfort and dignity" requested by Mrs. Mankowski.